The director of development is a full-time employee and reports to the Arizona Sonora Western Heritage Foundation (ASWHF) board president and works closely with the general manager and staff at Old Tucson Company. Grant writing and major gift development will be focus areas for the position.
ASWHF is a nonprofit educational organization founded in 2014 offering authentic, multi-cultural living history programs and events at Old Tucson Company. Programs encourage understanding and appreciation of the people of southern Arizona and northern Mexico during the Territorial period of 1850 – 1912. The operating budget is approximately $200,000.
- Research funding opportunities including public and private sector grants, major donors and corporate and individual sponsorships.
- Identify opportunities for Foundation fund-raising events and activities.
- Oversee the fund development plan for the Foundation and keeps it updated.
- Prepare and write proposals.
- Meet with prospective donors.
- Establish communication with donors (via email, newsletters, updates, etc.).
- Manage and maintain the donor data base.
- Track funding and ensures donors are thanked.
- Follow the Association of Fundraising Professional (AFP) code of ethics.
OLD TUCSON RELATIONS
- Attend Old Tucson management meetings as appropriate.
- Coordinate with Old Tucson staff engaged with living history programming.
- Work with Old Tucson staff on designing and implementing an authentic living history docent program, and ensure funding for the program.
- Coordinate Foundation support for events, activities and programs with Old Tucson.
- Work with Old Tucson staff on establishing systems for the foundation and follows best practices for nonprofits.
- Coordinate with Old Tucson’s marketing team to incorporate Foundation messages.
- Represent the Foundation at events and within the philanthropy community.
- Ensure that the Foundation web-site, Facebook Page, and other social media outreach are current and effective.
- Work with Pima County Attractions as necessary.
- Work with the Old Tucson staff to increase the Foundation’s visibility through media channels, speaking engagements, and participation in local and regional organizations.
FOUNDATION BOARD RELATIONS
- Outline annual goals and corresponding funding needs for Foundation consideration.
- Prepare material for and attend ASWHF board meetings.
- Coordinate activities with Foundation Board Chair or their designee.
- Provide monthly written reports on activities to the board of directors.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prefer five years of nonprofit experience, educational and/or museum experience.
- Fundraising skills and successful experience with grant writing and working with individual donors.
- Experience in grants management and reporting.
- Prefer experience with capital campaigns.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience working with a team of people.
- Strong operational and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow and handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Understanding and appreciation of the mission of Arizona Sonora Western Heritage Foundation.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and partnerships.
- Appreciation for the West’s history and culture.
- Ability to analyze and interpret information, including financial information, to make decisions and exercise resourcefulness.
Salary: Based upon experience. Up to $50,000 /benefits.
To Apply: Please forward cover letter, resume and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
References will be checked once permission is provided by applicant.